|Weekly G.K. ( 2 June to 8 June )|
- The Government has reconstituted eight Cabinet Committees. These are Appointments Committee, Committees on Accommodation, Economic Affairs, Parliamentary Affairs, Political Affairs, Security, Investment and Growth and Cabinet Committee on Employment and Skill Development. Some of the important committees are as follows:
- Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs.
Prime Minister, Shri Rajnath Singh, Minister of Defence, Shri Amit Shah, Minister of Home Affairs, Shri Nitin Jairam Gadkari, Minister of Road Transport and Highways; Minister of Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises, Shri D.V. Sadananda Gowda, Miniser of Chemicals & Fertilizers, Smt. Nirmala Sitharaman, Minister of Finance; Minister of Corporate Affairs, Shri Narendra Singh Tomar, Minister of Agriculture & Farmer Welfare, Minister of Rural Development: and Minister of Panchayati Raj., Shri Ravi Shanker Prasad, Minister of Communications and Information Technology; and Minister of Law and Justice., Smt. Harsimrat Kaur Badal, Minister of Food Processing Industries, Dr. Subrahamanayam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, Shri Piyush Goyal, Minister of Railways, Minister of Commerce & Industry, Shri Dharmendra Pradhan, Minister of State (Independent Charge) of the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas and Minister of Steel.
- Cabinet Committee on Security: Prime Minister, Shri Rajnath Singh, Minister of Defence Shri Amit Shah, Minister of Home Affairs, Smt. Nirmala Sitharaman, Minister of Finance & Corporate Affairs., Dr. Subrahamanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs.
- Cabinet Committee on Investment and Growth: Prime Minister., Shri Rajnath Singh, Minister of Defence Shri Amit Shah, Minister of Home Affairs, Shri Nitin Jairam Gadkari, Minister of Road Transport & Highways, Minister of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises, Smt. Nirmala Sitharaman, Minister of Finance & Corporate Affairs., Shri Pyush Goyal, Minister of Railways & Minister of Commerce & Industry.
- Cabinet Committee on Employment & Skill Development: Prime Minister., Shri Rajnath Singh, Minister of Defence Shri Amit Shah, Minister of Home Affairs, Smt. Nirmala Sitharaman, Minister of Finance & Corporate Affairs, Shri Narendra Singh Tomar, Minister of Agriculture & Farmer Welfare, Minister of Rural Development: and Minister of Panchayati Raj., Shri Piyush Goyal, Minister of Railways & Minister of Commerce & Industry, Shri Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’, Minister of Human Resource Development, Shri Dharmendra Pradhan, Minister of Petroleum & Natural Gas: and Minister of Steel, Dr. Mahendra Nath Pandey, Minister of Skill Development & Enterpreneurship, Shri Santosh Kumar Gangwar, MOS(I/C) Labour & Employment, Shri Hardeep Singh Puri, Minister of State(I/C) of the Ministry of Civil Aviation; and Minister of State in the Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved the reconstitution of National Institute for Transforming India, NITI Aayog. Mr Modi will be the chairperson of the Aayog and Rajiv Kumar will be the Vice Chairman. An official release said, V K Saraswat, Ramesh Chand and Dr V K Paul will be the full-time members of NITI Aayog. Defence Minister Rajnath Singh, Home Minister Amit Shah, Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman and Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar will be the Ex-Officio Members. Road, Transport and Highways Minister Nitin Gadkari, Social Justice and Empowerment Minister Thaawarchand Gehlot, Rail Minister Piyush Goyal and Statistics and Programme Implementation Minister Rao Inderjit Singh will be the special invitees of NITI Aayog.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has said the government is leaving no stone unturned for as healthy India by ensuring good quality healthcare facilities for the poor, disadvantaged and the under-privileged sections of the society. He said in this context, the quality and safety of food acquires critical dimensions. In his message on first-ever World Food Safety Day on July 7, Mr. Modi said, the food safety is of prime importance for the well-being and health of the nation and its people.
- The result of the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test, NEET 2019 has been declared. Nalin Khandelwal of Rajasthan topped the exam. Bhavik Bansal of Delhi secured the second position while Akshat Kaushik from Uttar Pradesh secured the third position. The NEET is conducted by the National Testing Agency for admission to MBBS and BDS courses in medical and dental colleges. Madhuri Reddy of Telangana emerged and the topper among girls and secured an all-India rank of seven. As many as 14 lakh 10 thousand 755 candidates had appeared for the exam out of which seven lakh 97 thousand 42 candidates qualified the test.
- Union Housing and Urban Affairs Minister Hardeep Singh Puri launched Swachh Survekshan 2020 League in New Delhi. The league will be a quarterly cleanliness assessment of cities and towns in India and will be integrated with Swachh Survekshan 2020, the 5th edition of the annual cleanliness survey of urban India to be conducted between January – February 2020. The objective of the Swachh Survekshan survey, which is conducted by an independent third party, is to encourage large scale citizen participation, ensure sustainability of initiatives taken towards garbage free and open defecation free cities and create awareness amongst all sections of society about the importance of working together towards making towns and cities a better place to live in.
- In France, hundreds of veterans gathered to honour the sacrifice of those who died in the D-Day landings by Allied troops. World leaders attended ceremonies honouring Allied forces who fought in the largest combined land, air and naval operation in history. Wreaths were laid, a minute’s silence was held and veterans linked arms and sang, before watching and RAF flypast. UK Prime Minister Theresa May and French President Emmanuel Macron thanked veterans who took part in June 1944. President Donald Trump called former US soldiers the pride of the nation.
Business & Economy:
- The Reverse Bank of India in its bi-monthly monetary policy review has reduced the repo rate by 25 basis points to 5.75 per cent from 6.0 per cent with immediate effect. Consequently, the reverse repo rate stands adjusted to 5.50 per cent, and the marginal standing facility rate and the Bank rate to 6.0 per cent. The six-member Monetary Policy Committee headed by RBI Governor Shaktikanta Das also unanimously decided to change the stance of monetary policy from neutral to accommodative. Taking into account the weak global demand due to the escalation in trade wars and weakened private consumption in rural areas, Mr Das informed that the RBI has lowered the GDP growth forecast for 2019-20 to 7 percent from 7.2 percent. With a view to boosting digital transactions, RBI has decided to do away with charges levied on RTGS and NEFT transactions and banks will be required to pass this benefit to their customers. The next meeting of the MPC is scheduled from August 5 to 7.
- Sunil Chhetri became the most capped India player by surpassing Bhaichung Bhutia’s 107 international matches. In his milestone match of the King’s Cp football tournament in Buriram, Thailand, he scored the lone goal for his side in the 31st minute from a spot kick for his 69th goal. His effort, however, did not make any difference as India, ranked 101, lost 1-3 to higher ranked Curacoa.